mardi 31 mars 2009

Vineyards in Boutenac, Narbonne

Last weekend, some friends and I took a train to Narbonne, down in the South of France, to visit the vineyards and learn about wine. We stayed in the small town of Boutenac, where wine is a way of life!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We went off-season so the grapes had not grown out yet. Harvests take place in August/September every year.

Photobucket
Château la Volle-Gasparets - a family run winery where we had our wine tasting session.

Photobucket
Wine is stored in these barrels for about a year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Rosé. I bought back a bottle of this for 5 Euros!

Photobucket
Blanc(White)

Photobucket
Rouge(Red)

Photobucket
Taking a walk around the little town. This is the town church. Apart from the church, there is only a small grocery store and a hairdresser.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Since transport back to the town was non-existent, we packed our days and spent our two nights with our hosts, or back in our room playing cards.

Photobucket
Typical French breakfast with bread, croissants, cakes and jam.

Photobucket
Our hosts' two adorable kids, Amandine and Alice. Look at that grin!


Before leaving, we took a little tour around the main city of Narbonne.

Photobucket
A church

Photobucket
The Cathédrale of St Just and St Pasteur. This is the most magnificent church I have ever seen in my entire life. The interior was breathtaking and I really wish I could have taken photos inside.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Cloisters that linked the cathedrale to another.

Photobucket
Hôtel de Ville - it literally means City Hotel, and you find them in each city. I thought it literally meant it was a hotel and was sorely disappointed when I found out in fact, that it was the city hall. All the ones I've seen so far have been beautiful and I had secretly hoped to stay in one during one of my trips.

Photobucket
Taking a break at the park.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire